Email has become one of the most essential forms of business communication, but there can be issues regarding security of some email systems. One solution to this problem is to work with a managed email security provider.
What are managed email security services?
The key to understanding this service is to think of it as outsourcing. Most small to medium businesses lack the staff and expertise to do this in-house, so a convenient way to secure your email is to outsource the task to your IT partner.
An IT partner can work with you to establish and secure your email by intercepting all email destined for your email addresses or domain. Many IT specialists employ advanced scanning software that looks for malicious software, images, or even content that contains keywords that have been deemed unsafe. The software then filters out the problem emails and sends the safe ones to your email servers or inbox.
Such services typically allow you to establish and manage filters, along with “black lists” or “white lists.” (Black lists contain words or email addresses that you do not want to receive emails from, white lists are just the opposite.) Because the companies that run these services are security oriented, they can work with you to ensure that emails coming in and going out of your organization are secure, and free from malicious content.
Why should your company use managed email security?
Here are four situations in which it can be advantageous to use managed email security.
- You operate in an industry with strict email regulations – Many industries, like the healthcare, legal and financial sectors, have strict regulations regarding security of communication. Companies in this sector must meet security regulations or face heavy fines. A managed email security provider can help such businesses understand and meet the requirements.
- Your company lacks an in-house IT department – The IT staff at most small to medium businesses are stretched pretty thin, and may not have the time to monitor email security. By working with an IT partner, you can free up existing resources and allow your IT staff to focus on other areas of your business.
- Other solutions are too expensive – Small businesses can be running on razor-thin margins, and implementing an off-the-shelf solution takes time and money. Because this is a managed service, you will likely pay a flat rate, which is usually far more affordable than other solutions.
- You need a reliable system – In order to operate at maximum efficiency, companies need to be sure that their email system is not only working but will not suffer from downtime related to malicious software or other content in emails. Because these emails are filtered before they get to your system, companies can see nearly 100% uptime for their email systems when they utilize an IT partner for email security.
What makes a good managed email security provider?
There are a number of services that a good provider should offer. Here are six.
- They should offer both spam filtering and malware or virus scanning.
- They should have a Service Level Agreement with a guarantee stating how secure their systems are. Ideally, no malicious content should make it through.
- Both incoming and outgoing emails should be scanned and secured.
- The security system should be flexible to meet your specific needs.
- The system should be easily scalable to meet the growth of your company.
- Ideally, the system provider should have experience with the industry in which you work. This enhanced understanding can bring a boost to security, while also ensuring that systems meet regulatory standards where necessary.
If you are looking for a better email security system, why not contact us? We may have a solution that will work for you.